Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blue-eyed Snake + Purple Coneflower . . .

Don't look if you are squeemish about snakes!

These two photos are not Photoshopped at all. They are right out of the camera. I was shocked to see the blue eyes on this snake when I uploaded the pics to my computer. I saw him stretched out in a sunny spot outside my living room window. I went out the front door to see how close I could get and the snake never even flinched as I got closer and closer. I'm told that when these snakes are about to lose their skin their eyes temporarily turn blue. I'm not afraid of snakes but am terrified of mice. Anything that eats mice is a friend of mine!

It rained almost all night and now the sun is shining brightly. My favorite weather combination! Have a great Sunday. Thanks for stopping by the cottage today. ♥Rosemary


Old Blue Eyes!


A genuine snake in the grass.


Purple Coneflower
This plant is very tall this year.
I am so happy I moved it to the back wall!



Content in a Cottage

12 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Unfortunately Rosemary, if I saw this guy (blue eyes or not) outside in any of my beds, my garden would go to ruin!

Oh, and I hate mice too!

Marcy said...

You can keep 'ole blue eyes! I admire your bravery at getting those photos - incredible!

La Maison Fou said...

His eyes look like Sapphires.
Wow
L

Tracy Watier said...

How beautiful, Rosemary. He looks like a decorative accessory, made of brass and mother of pearl and lapis, and would be the perfect accent in some of the interiors I just featured.
I agree with you about snakes... not scary at all. Startling maybe, to come across one unexpectedly, but much more intriguing than scary.

Sue said...

What a great photo....those eyes are unbelievable. I'm not scared of snakes, I just hate the way they "surprise" me. I have a flower border on the west side of the house that needs work....unfortunately, I know HE is in there...somewhere.

Kara said...

Great pics! I hate snakes but your photo is brilliant! And purple cone flowers are one of my favorites.

Just found your blog recently and I love it!

Millie said...

Spectacular sssssssssnake shots Rosemary. It looks like 'Ol Blue Eyes is back!
Millie ^_^

Chiara said...

Hello sweet Rosemary,

you're such a great photographer! I would have been super scared of the snake....I have shivers down my spine now and goosebump...I can't think of it...brrrrrr.

Have a great day, big hugs
xxx

Gal Friday said...

Amazing photos!
I can't say that snakes are my favorite(they unerve me a little and I always jump back when I spot one), but to be able to study the strange beauty of this little snake you captured with tour lens was very enjoyable.
The coneflower picture is striking, as well. (mine bloomed this past week--finally)

Leslie Shelor said...

I don't mind snakes and this is a wonderful photo!

SarahB said...

Fantastic snake pictures! I love it! Also, your coneflower photo is so beautiful...she's aging gracefully.

Ruth Olbrych said...

Absolutely unbelievable!
My kids have a favorite snake story from when we lived in Bangkok and I "saved" my offspring from what we were told (after the fact) was a poisonous snake that had taken refuge in our yard. The sponge bat was initial "weapon".
Tx for sharing those amazing photos that you can proudly say you took.